Search The Catalog
The Library Renewal Project
A strong foundation, planning for the future.
About the Design:
The design for the expanded and remodeled library includes a complete remodel of the existing square footage and an expansion of the library to a total of approximately 26,000 square feet. The design includes:
- An expanded children's area with an enclosed early learning activity and programming room
- Collections housed in lower shelving for accessibility
- Flexible meeting/study rooms of various sizes, including a 100 person, dividable multi-purpose community room
- Increased computer workstations, a technology instruction area and access to new technology
- Larger accessible restrooms, including a family restroom
- More lounge seating and comfortable, welcoming reading area
The Library Renewal Project is being financed via a local option sales and use tax of 1/2 of one percent (.5%), private fundraising, and a state Library Construction Grant. Construction bids for the epansion and renovation project came in below budget and total anticipated costs for the estimated $9.8 million project were reduced to $9.4 million. The Fergus Falls Public Library Foundation has raised $3 million in private gifts and pledges towards the project.
The City of Fergus Falls has been awarded a $1 million Library Construction Grant from the Minnesota Department of Education for the library expansion and remodel. The Library Construction Grant program is a competitive dollar-for-dollar matching grant program providing public libraries with funding for renovation, construction, and improvement projects that result in more accessible and energy efficient library facilities.
The remaining project expenses not covered by private fundraising or the Library Construction Grant will be paid for via the local option sales and use tax. The sales and use tax for the project went into effect January 1, 2018.
Images of the Remodeled and Expanded Library