Search The Catalog
Fergus Falls has had a library since the city’s incorporation in 1872. During the fall of that year, 25 individuals created the Fergus Falls Library Association. This first circulating library was limited to dues paying members or non-members who paid a fee for using the library’s materials.
The Fergus Falls Public Library was established in 1891. The 551 book public library migrated from location to location until the first dedicated public library building opened in 1900. A new library was built in 1906 with a $15,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie. The “Carnegie Library” was expanded in 1961 and, when the library once again outgrew its space, the current library building at 205 E. Hampden Ave. was built in 1986.
The Library building recently underwent a major remodel and expansion, reopening to the public in January of 2019. For more information on the expansion and remodel project, visit the Library Renewal Project page.
Anthony Gilbert © Gaffer Photography