Search The Catalog
The Library Renewal Project
A strong foundation, planning for the future.
The library has moved into a temporary location in the Heritage Building, 1505 Pebble Lake Rd., during construction on the expansion and remodel of the library building at 205 E. Hampden Ave.
- November 8, 2016: Fergus Falls city residents approved a half cent local option sales and use tax to partially fund expanding and remodeling the existing library building at 205 E. Hampden Ave.
- May 25, 2017: During a special City Council meeting, the Council authorized moving forward with advertising for construction bids for the project, a lease for a temporary location for the library during construction, and a request for proposals for moving services to move the library into the temporary library location at 1505 Pebble Lake Road (Heritage Building) pending legislative authorization of the half cent local option sales tax. UPDATE: The local option sales tax was signed into law on May 30.
- July 11, 2017: Construction bid opening for the library was held and bids came in under budget. The Fergus Falls City Council awarded the construction contract to Comstock Construction during the July 17 Council meeting.
- August 2, 2017: Temporary library opens at 1505 Pebble Lake Road. The library will operate out of this space during construction.
- August 23, 2017: Library expansion Groundbreaking Ceremony.
- October 16, 2017: Due to the construction contract coming in under budget, project expense estimates were reduced from $9.8 million to $9.4 million. This figure includes all elements of the project including construction and furnishings, fixtures and equipment. Currently, the Fergus Falls Public Library Foundation has collected $2.75 million towards its goal of raising $3 million in private funds towards the project expenses. To contribute to the project, visit the Fergus Falls Public Library Foundation project page here.
- January 1, 2018: The local option half cent sales tax for the project will go into effect on this date. Click here for information on the half cent sales tax collection.
Click here to subscribe to receive construction updates via email in the library's enewsletter. Photos of the construction progress are also regularly posted to the library's facebook page: facebook.com/fergusfallspubliclibrary
The Design of the Expanded and Remodeled Library:
The design for the expanded and remodeled library includes a complete remodel of the existing square footage and an expansion of the library to a total of approximately 26,000 square feet. The design includes:
- An expanded children's area with an enclosed early learning activity and programming room
- Collections housed in lower shelving for accessibility
- Flexible meeting/study rooms of various sizes, including a 100 person, dividable multi-purpose community room
- Increased computer workstations, a technology instruction area and access to new technology
- Larger accessible restrooms, including a family restroom
- More lounge seating and comfortable, welcoming reading area